Sunday, 1 May 2011

Dress to skirt refashion




I had a dress that I bought in a size 20 because I loved the material. I really wanted to make a paper bag skirt out of it but I was in a massive rush. I ended up giving up the paper bag waist idea and just making a simple elasticated waist skirt. It turned out really nice. I love it and I know I'll wear it a lot :D

It was really, really easy to make. I measured from my waist to my knee, I wanted it a bit shorter than knee length so figured that would account for my top hem and elastic, then just cut off that much from the bottom of the dress. With it being a size 20, it was the perfect size across to give me a nice bit of gathering once the elastic went in so that worked out really well. It ended up being about twice my waist measurement. I serged the top edge, the bottom was already done obviously as I'd used the skirt off the dress. I measured some elastic round my waist, 28", and stitched it together overlapping the edges slightly. I then sewed it into the skirt. Thinking back it wouldve been easier to make my casing first and then use a safety pin to thread the elastic through but I like to live life on the edge so I threaded and stitched at the same time :P





This is the dress that I started off with. I love, love, love my new skirt :D

3 comments:

charityshopchic said...

Wow, fantastic material from the original dress, I can see why it caught your eye - you did a great job! :-)
Sally

Ellie said...

thanks babe, just had a look through your blog, it looks really good :) x

Pam said...

Fabulous refashion!!! So easy but so effective. I think you're ever so game to make it on the morning of going out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...