Friday, 20 May 2011

Sweater to toddler sweater dress refashion

I had an old sweater that I think used to be my Mam's. I decided to make a little sweater dress for Leyla out of it. It was seriously so easy and turned out very cute. It doesn't hang as weirdly as it does in the picture. I couldn't find a coat hanger that fit it nicely. To make it, I used the existing neckline and just drew around a sweater dress she already had that I knew fit her nicely, left myself a 1/4" seam allowance and stitched all the way along the sleeve, under the arm, reinforcing stitching under the arm as it will get plenty of wear, and then all the way down the side. I did this on both sides then I went back and serged my edges just to make sure they didn't unravel.

I had originally decided to make it 3/4length sleeves but I changed my mind afterwards so I cut the cuffs off the original sweater and stitched them onto the ends of the sleeves. Worked out much easier than having to battle with hems I think.

I'm going to have to do something with the neckline in the future as it is a deep v-neck and it sits far too low on my two year old. Will deal with that at some point but for now its ok for in the house wear. 

I've added this to the "Around the world in 80 dresses" challenge thats going on right now at Refashion Co Op.

1 comment:

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Great idea to reuse the cuffs!!! I'm not very successful with sewing hems on stretch fabric. I find the stitching breaks. Cuffs not only look good, but they stretch and the stitching holds.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...