Friday, 17 June 2011

Tshirt to toddler tshirt dress refashion



I made Leyla a gorgeous little tshirt dress, I love it so much and it was so easy!

I bought a UK size 6 women's tshirt with the idea of making this little tshirt dress and it came out really well I think, although the neckline is slightly too big for her. I'm not entirely sure how I can fix it without ripping all the ribbing off the neck and I'm not up for that at the minute so it'll have to stay as it is lol.

All I did was turn it inside out, fold it in half, line up a jumper dress that fit her well, add a 1/4" seam allowance and cut all the way round from the sleeve hem, under the arm and down to the bottom hem. I didnt leave a seam allowance at the bottom of the dress since this particular dress was a little longer than I wanted the tshirt dress to be.


Then using a straight stitch, I sewed all the way down, reinforcing under the arm where it's most likely to rip open. I followed that with a zigzag stitch in the seam allowance.

When I did the hems, because I was using knit and it had a good bit of stretch, I didnt use a straight stitch. In my experience when you stretch a straight stitch it does not like it one bit and just pops all open and its not good. I use a very, very slight zigzag stitch whenever I'm hemming knit. So slight it's only 0.5-1 width on my machine. It's just enough that when you stretch the material to get it on, it won't pop. It still looks pretty much like a straight stitch.

It's absolutely gorgeous on and because I made it a little bit too long on the sleeves and the bottom, it will fit her for ages. Woohoo!

1 comment:

Pam said...

Looks great and is such a practical dress for a little one to run around in. You could just have her wear another t-shirt under the dress for the neckline. Here's a link to how I tackled that problem with a too big neckline...
http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/02/project-recycle-week-3-entry.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...