Sunday, 25 September 2011

Shabby Lace Pouch



I'm trying every Sunday to make something out of my ridiculous stash that I have managed to accumulate over the years. I have so much material and it is getting silly now so I need to use some of it up before I am letting myself buy any new!

I have so many muslin cloths that I've had since the babies were little. I was told to make sure I had tons of muslins so I totally over prepared and bought  too many haha. Yes, they came in handy at the time but I could've made do with about half the amount I had! I didn't want to throw them out so into my refashion pile they went.

Yesterday, I decided I wanted to make some drawer/wardrobe smelly bags (sorry I don't know the official name for them but you get what I mean?) and figured that muslin would be perfect for them. They're good for the bath aswell if you hang one off the taps by the ribbon! I use 2tbsp porridge oats and a good pinch of dried chamomile flowers in mine because I have dry skin and eczema on my hands. This little pouch really helps that!

So let's make some :) All you will need is some muslin and some thin ribbon.


I started off by cutting my muslin into smaller squares. I cut each big square into 8 little squares which ended up being approx. 5.5"x5.5". First things first, cut off all of the finished edges and do a zigzag stitch around all 4 edges. Muslin frays so I wanted to make sure to stop them fraying too much. You want them to fray a little bit to get the shabby effect but if they fray too much, your stitching will all fall out! You want to keep the zigzag stitches as close to the edge as you can. This makes the edges look like lace (well, I think it does anyway).


When you have all edges zigzagged you want to fold your square in half, wrong sides together and with a very narrow hem, sew a straight stitch down the two side edges. Leave the top edge open or it won't be a pouch! The bottom fold will be the bottom of your pouch. Do a zigzag stitch down both newly sewn sides. I thought it would be nice to have all of my seams on the outside to add a little character so the ''wrong side'' should be on the outside of your pouch and the nicely finished side should be on the inside.


Now were going to do the little casings for the ribbon. Cut out two pieces of muslin 5"x1". Do a zigzag stitch around all 4 sides on both pieces. Again, keep the zigzag stitches as close to the edge as you can.


We're going to sew those on under your zigzag stitching at the top of the pouch. I left about 1/2" from the top then sewed it on, stitching 1/8" away from the edge of the strip, sewing the top first then the bottom. I found it was much easier to do this with the pouch inside out (stitching inside). Remember not to stitch the two small side edges down, just the top and bottom.


Cut 2 pieces of ribbon, about 11". We're going to use those to make the fastening for the pouch. Attach one end to a safety pin then thread it through the casing on one side of the pouch. Using the other side of the same ribbon, thread it through the casing on the other side of the pouch, tie the two ends into a knot and cut off the raggy edges. The knot should be flush against the side of the pouch when it's fully open. Do the same for the other piece of ribbon, starting at the other side of the pouch. The second piece is a bit more difficult because you're going over the piece of ribbon already in there but just wiggle it through, pulling the first ribbon tight if you need to and it'll go through. A nice little trick I've learned for when using ribbon is to pass the cut ends through a flame on a lighter. It seals all the edges and stops it fraying.


When you pull both pieces of ribbon, your pouch should close up! Isn't that clever? I saw it on a handbag when I was out shopping and thought it was brilliant. I'd never seen it before!

And there you have it, a Shabby Lace Pouch for you to fill with whatever you fancy. I made a bigger one for Leyla to put all of her tea set stuff in too and it worked brilliantly :)

10 comments:

Megan said...

very very pretty. I just love that "shabby" style.

megan
craftycpa.blogspot.com

Mammy Made said...

Thanks :) I've just a had a look at your blog. You've got some mint stuff on there! - Ellie x

shopannies said...

super cute

beckaboots said...

This is really cute. I never finish off edges because I love the frayed, shabby look. Great job! :)

Bekah
If Work Permits

Mammy Made said...

Thanks both of you :) x

Pam said...

I like your shabby lace sachet. Little drawstring bags have so many uses. Great tutorial! Following you from:
http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/

Mammy Made said...

Thank you hun, I absolutely love your twirl Skirt! Gorgeous colours! x

The Stuff of Success said...

This is so cute - and I may have to make some since I also have such a ridiculous stash of "stuff" and still managed to purchase even more fabric today. I think I need therapy... Anyway, thanks for linking to Success U @ TheStuffOfSuccess.com

Mammy Made said...

It's awful isn't it lol. I'm exactly the same, I need an ever expanding craft room I think x

Pam said...

Thanks for linking up...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...