Thursday, 29 December 2011

Baby bib


To make this bib, I used an old towel and some cotton curtain that I had laying around. It was only thin cotton so it worked nicely for this bib, I would think that thick cotton would make the bib a bit harder to wear.

To get my pattern, I took a bib that I like the size and fit of. I folded it in half, folded my towel in half, matched folds then drew around the bib onto the towel with a washable fabric marker (I didn't add a seam allowance because I only use a 1/4" sewing allowance but if you use any more than that I would suggest adding your seam allowance on). The towel will be the back of your bib so you can use any colour you like. I used pink because that's what I found in my refashion pile.

I then drew around the towel bib onto the curtain to get my front piece. You should have two identical pieces, one towel and one cotton.


To sew up the bib, I laid my two pieces right sides together and pinned all around, leaving a couple of inches on the bottom open. I didn't want to sew all the way around as I needed to be able to turn right side out. I stitched all around except the few inches on the bottom using a straight stitch and then a narrow zigzag close to the straight stitch just for added strength. Don't forget to backstitch a little at the beginning and end of your stitching otherwise your stitches will fall out when you try and turn it.


I then turned the bib right side out. I used a pencil in the thin neck pieces to help me get them right sides out. When the bib was right side out, I folded in the unstitched pieces at the bottom, pinned them and then ran a straight stitch close to the edge, stitching the opening shut as I went. Add the fastening of your choice, I chose poppers just because that's what I prefer. And the bib is done :)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...