Friday, 24 February 2012

Preemie flower beanie


A friend of mine had her baby at 24 weeks gestation. I got to go and see her in hospital the other day so I decided to make her a little hat to wear since I didn't want to go empty handed! This hat fits her really nicely and she is about 5lbs. It can easily be made bigger or smaller to fit by adding/taking away length rows or using a bigger/smaller crochet needle. I made her a few more aswell since she has to wear hats all the time now to keep her temperature up.

You will need: 3ply baby yarn, 3.5mm crochet hook, yarn needle

Gauge: at end of round 4, hat should have a diameter of 3.5" and at end of round 13, height of hat should be 3.75" (for a bigger preemie, use 4mm crochet hook and add extra length as needed)

1. using main colour, make a magic ring, tutorial here, ch3 then work 13dcs in ring, slst in top of ch3 (14)
2. ch3, turn, dc in base of ch3, 2dcs in each st around, join with slst in top of ch3 (28)
3. ch3, turn, dc in base of ch3, *dc in next st, 2dcs in next st*, rep around, join with slst in top of ch3 (42)
4. ch3, turn, dc in base of ch3, *dc in next 2sts, 2dcs in next st*, rep around, join with slst in top of ch3 (56)
5-12. ch3, turn, sk st at base of ch3, dc around, join with sl st in top of ch3 (56)
13. join contrasting yarn if wanted, ch3, turn, sk st at base of ch3, dc around, join with sl st in top of ch3 (56)
14. ch2, turn, work ribbing *fpdc in next st, bpdc in next st* till end, join with sl st in top of ch2
15. Bind off and weave in ends.

Flower:
1.using contrast yarn, make a magic ring as above, ch1 *sc in ring, ch3* 6 times, join with sl st in 1st sc
2. ch1, (sc, hdc, dc, hdc, sc) in each chsp around, join with sl st in 1st sc
3. Bind off and weave in ends.


I'm linking here.


23 comments:

Helen said...

thanks for this, its a lovely pattern and one I shall be trying out I think...if only for my daughter's doll! Altho I think a few might be made for my local NICU too. You don't often see pretty hat patterns in prem sizes.

Mammy Made said...

No worries, I'm just about to post a fancier one too, in the next few days so look out for that one :)

Natasha Mairs said...

Would LOVE it if you could share this on my link party Serenity Saturday

Natasha xx

www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

Mammy Made said...

Already have babes :P x

Our Delightful Home said...

You did such an amazing job! I would love for you to link up at my Linky Party on Tuesday via: www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Carolyn Dube said...

This is the most stylish way to keep the little one warm in the spring! These will be stunning on her!!!

Mammy Made said...

Thanks both of you! Mrs Delightful, I've added your linky party to my list, see you tomorrow :) x

Val said...

Aww, will Pin this to save for when I have a teeny baby in my life!

I would love for you to follow my blog too so that we can share ideas!

Your newest follower,
Val @ http://cookcraftcrocheting.blogspot.com/

Clairejustine said...

Lovely,Thanks for joining us at Creative Mondays :)

J W Anderson said...

Wow Its wonderful preemie flower beanie. I like so much your post. It very colourful and I like this flower.

Amy Clark said...

what a lovely premie hat. Thanks for sharing how easy it is to make the hat smaller or larger as well. I think a lot of people don't realize just how eays it is to customize the size of a hat.

Mammy Made said...

Thank you so much everyone :) xx

Six Sisters said...

Cute as can be!! We are so glad that you linked up to "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Hope you'll be back next week! -The Sisters

Tutus & Tea Parties said...

These are so cute! Thanks for sharing the pattern!

I would love it if you could link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/search/label/Link%20Party

Christine said...

what sweet little hats. that little baby sure is lucky to have one :)

Mammy Made said...

Thank you everyone :) xx

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

I love hats with flowers on them! Thanks for sharing at Things I've Done Thursday! www.bearrabbitbear.com

Polkadot-pretties said...

Thank you for linking up a fabulous project...

hope you will stop by and link up another great project..

http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.com/2012/03/you-inspire-linky-party_10.html

Claire xoxo

Mammy Made said...

Thank you both xx

Natasha Mairs said...

these are so sweet

Featuring this today on Serenity Saturday link party!!!

Natasha xxx

www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

Mammy Made said...

Thank you so much! Just been looking through your blog, you have some really nice things on there! xx

Diana said...

My baby was born at 26 weeks. For the first few weeks he was on a ventilator and the only thing he wore besides a micro min diaper was the little knit hats that people donated to the NICU. This is a great pattern and I am excited to make some to give back to the hospital.

Pamela said...

Hi - I am a new follower. You have so many adorable things you have made. I am hosting a baby shower linky party at http://sewmuchclass.blogspot.com and would for you to check it out and see if you might like to participate. It is for a great cause - if not, I hope you will still follow!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...