Thursday, 29 March 2012

Meal Plan Week 1


I like to do meal plans for our weekly food. I find that if I go shopping without a clear idea of what I need to buy, I just come home with loads of random ingredients and hardly any full meals haha. I've been collecting recipes that I know my family likes and recipes that I would like to try. I've made myself a spreadsheet with all of our meals on for the next month (organisation at it's best haha - let's see if I can stick to it though!)

I start my week on Friday since I do my food shopping on Thursday and I receive my vegetable box on Friday so it made sense for me to start everything on Friday. I alternated fish, chicken, meat and veggie meals to try and make sure we get a balanced diet.

I have only written down meals for tea since I did have all dinners written down aswell and they kept getting wasted. Either we were out on one day taking the kids somewhere or I had chores to do out of the house or we just didn't feel like whatever was meant for that day. I figured if I always keep rice, pasta, bread, lentils, eggs and cheese stocked up, then between that and my veg box, I will always have something I can just whip up for dinner.

I have only written down for 5 meals a week since 2 days of the week we have dinner elsewhere. I know a lot of people like to have a takeaway night once a week aswell or leftovers one night so 5 meals is usually plenty.

So here is my Menu Plan for Week 1:

F- Tuna macaroni cheese (Macaroni cheese made the normal way with a tin of tuna mixed in.)

Sa- Chicken ratatouille and rice (Brown 3 cubed boneless chicken thighs and 1 onion. Allow the onion to soften then add 1 chopped courgette, 1 chopped yellow pepper and about 6 chopped/blended tomatoes. Add some water if needed then bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 45mins until tomato has turned into a nice sauce and veggies are soft. I usually season with plenty of black pepper, a pinch of turmeric and a pinch of cayenne. Oh and lots of parsley.)

Su- We usually go out to my MIL's house on Sunday so a lot of the time we have a roast dinner there.

M- Fishcakes, mash and baked beans (I like to make my own fishcakes to be sure they have nothing nasty in them. Just make some mash, poach some fish then flake and mix into the mash. Season well, dip in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs and either shallow fry or bake until crispy and piping hot.)

Tu- Chicken thigh, mash and roasted veggies (I like to brown off the chicken thighs first and boil some carrot and parsnip wedges for about 5mins. Then I just put them all in a baking tray together, about 6 bone in chicken thighs, 6 carrots and 6 parsnips. drizzle with a little oil and bake until chicken  is cooked through and veggies have gone soft. I usually cook on GM6 for 1hr. )

W- Bubble and squeak cakes (I make extra mash on Tuesday and keep some in the fridge for my bubble and squeak cakes. Cook up some cabbage/spinach/broccoli until soft then chop finely. Add the mash - you want slightly more mash than green veg. Shape into small balls then flatten. Fry for 5mins on each side over medium high heat.)

Th- We have started going to Paul's nan's house on a Thursday and she tends to make something for us.

Am I the only one who's so obsessive about meal planning? :P


3 comments:

Mahina and Lucas said...

I really need to meal plan as well. It's so much more efficient and really saves money. Stopping by from the "Linky Follower Party" hop! You can find me at www.lucasandmahina.com!

Julie said...

Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/03/seafood-crab-salad-show-your-stuff-17.html

Rose said...

I'm following you via blog hop, you have an awesome blog can't wait to read more. Please come visit me @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
Thanks
Rose

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...