Thursday, 26 July 2012

Meals on the Cheap: Fish and Spinach Risotto


This meal has the potential of being quite expensive, given that it is fish. I like to use the packets of fish pie mix as the fish is all cut up ready for me, plus it works out cheaper. In my local supermarket, I can buy a packet of fish pie mix for £4 and I can make two meals out of it. I use one half of the fish pie mix then freeze the other half, ready to be defrosted when I need it. You could just sub this for chopped fish obviously. Mine has salmon, cod and smoked haddock in the one packet.

I like to use brown rice when making this as it is much better for you than white and I like to be as healthy as I can with my food. Any leafy greens can be used in this recipe. I have made it with cabbage before and it has been equally yummy!

Fish and Spinach Risotto (serves 3)

1tbsp olive oil
1 x onion, diced
1 cup brown rice, rinsed
200g fish pie mix (or fish of your choice)
200g spinach (or other leafy green), washed
2 cups boiling water
1/4 tsp turmeric
cayenne pepper, to finish
black pepper, to finish
lemon juice, to finish

Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan and add the onion. Fry, without stirring, for 5mins or until just starting to brown. Add the rice and stir to coat. Add the boiling water and turmeric, bring to the boil, reduce heat and gently simmer for 25mins (or according to pack instructions - white rice will take less time to cook than brown). When the rice is nearly cooked through, and the water is nearly all absorbed, add the fish and spinach. Put a lid on the pan and leave to gently simmer for 10mins. Check to make sure the pan doesn't become too dry. Add a tiny touch more water if necessary.


Serve sprinkled with the cayenne pepper, black pepper and lemon juice. So tasty!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Find more Meals on the Cheap posts here.

I don't know about you but we are really struggling at the minute with our money situation and I am in need of some cheap but nutritious meals to keep us going and keep our food bills down.

I have been scouring the internet for recipe ideas to help me plan the next months meals and I will be sharing a new one every Wednesday.

I have decided to cut down our meat by half and bulk meals out with beans and chickpeas. I find that we spend quite a lot on meat as I don't like buying the value range at our supermarket, but this obviously ends up being pretty expensive.

I hope by the end of this month, we'll have saved quite a lot of money on our food bills!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...