Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Meals on the Cheap: Hidden Veggie Pasta Sauce


Last week I wanted to make some pasta for my two girls but wanted to add more veggies than just the usual chopped tomatoes. I know fine well that if I give them veggies chopped up in a bowl they are very likely to leave them. There are only a few veggies they will actually eat without being hidden so I decided to just trick them and blend up some raw veggies and let them think it was just tomatoes *mwahahahaha*

Hidden Veggie Pasta Sauce (Serves 4)

1 x large courgette
1 x red pepper
1 x onion
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes (or enough chopped raw tomatoes to make up 400g)
1tsp mixed herbs
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp paprika
plenty of black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth(ish). Transfer to a pan and cook over a medium heat until just starting to bubble. I just served mine over cooked pasta but it would be lovely with chicken in Spicy Chicken Pasta :) You can taste the veggies still but my two eat it all up and I don't think they would touch a raw courgette or a red pepper even if they were starving :P


This would also be delicious with rice, in a lasagne or even as a sauce for meat served with bread to dip in at the end. Yum!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Find more Meals on the Cheap posts here.

I don't know about you but we are really struggling at the minute with our money situation and I am in need of some cheap but nutritious meals to keep us going and keep our food bills down.

I have been scouring the internet for recipe ideas to help me plan the next months meals and I will be sharing a new one every Wednesday.

I have decided to cut down our meat by half and bulk meals out with beans and chickpeas. I find that we spend quite a lot on meat as I don't like buying the value range at our supermarket, but this obviously ends up being pretty expensive.

I hope by the end of this month, we'll have saved quite a lot of money on our food bills!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I'm linking here:

Serenity you   homework  Sugar Bee Crafts   Reasons To Skip The Housework Our Delightful Home  

3 comments:

Winnie said...

YUMMY
I really like what I see!
And my other-half (=husband) would loooooooooooove it
Thanks for sharing the recipe

Allison said...

This looks great!
I invite you to join me today (and every Tuesday) for the Tone Up Tuesday link up! All things fitness, healthy living, and wellness like recipes, workouts, fitness motivations, struggles and accomplishments. Live right now!

http://www.feedingmytemple.com/2012/8/24/tone-up-tuesday-linkup

Katie Drane said...

I'm so glad that I'm following you! What a great idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

Katie
www.funhomethings.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...