Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Meals on the Cheap: Home-made Greek Yoghurt Recipe



Since we've been eating more beans and chickpeas, we have started eating a lot more greek yoghurt. I like to make my beans and chickpeas in a spicy tomato and onion sauce which I will be sharing in the next few weeks and therefore I use lots of greek yoghurt for the kids to cool down the spice and also for me since it is yummy! It was starting to cost me a fortune in yoghurt so I decided to see if I could make my own. I know my Mam used to make her own yoghurt all the time so knew it couldn't be too hard. I searched a few home-made yoghurt recipes and picked bits from each to make what I think is the perfect yoghurt recipe :)


First of all, empty 3 pints of milk into a heavy based pan. Reserve two tbsps into a small bowl and set aside. Bring the milk in the pan up to about 82°C (180°F). I used a medium low heat as you don't want the milk to boil, just come barely up to a gentle simmer.


When the milk has reached its temperature, you will need to transfer it into a large bowl. Leave it until it cools down to 40-43°C (105-110°F). It is important you keep within this range as the bacteria has the most chance of thriving at this temperature. Do not cover your bowl as you want the good bacteria in the air to get into your milk.


Meanwhile, take the two tbsps milk you reserved earlier and mix in two tbsps natural LIVE yoghurt. Make sure it says live on the pot or it won't work. When the milk in the bowl has cooled down to 40-43°C (105-110°F) you can add your milk and yoghurt mix and stir in well.


Transfer the whole thing to a wide mouthed (if possible) thermos flask and leave overnight or about 8-9hours. 




When the yoghurt is ready, transfer it into a covered bowl and leave in the fridge for a few hours to cool. Cover a sieve with a piece of thin towel or muslin then put the whole thing over a bowl to drain. Leave it for a few hours then empty the bowl underneath. In the towel you should have some gorgeous greek yoghurt. Spoon that into a bowl, cover and keep in the fridge :) 


Lovely, yummy greek yoghurt, very cheap and very good for you aswell :)




I like mine with raw oats and drizzled honey. Love!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Find more Meals on the Cheap posts here.


I don't know about you but we are really struggling at the minute with our money situation and I am in need of some cheap but nutritious meals to keep us going and keep our food bills down.


I have been scouring the internet for recipe ideas to help me plan the next months meals and I will be sharing a new one every Wednesday.


I have decided to cut down our meat by half and bulk meals out with beans and chickpeas. I find that we spend quite a lot on meat as I don't like buying the value range at our supermarket, but this obviously ends up being pretty expensive.


I hope by the end of this, we'll have saved quite a lot of money on our food bills!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...