Thursday, 6 September 2012

Meals on the Cheap: Ezogelin Corbasi


Sorry I didn't post yesterday. We had my little cousin Alex round to stay so we had a fun family day. Made her some treats, watched some TV and had some girly time. 


Today I want to share a delicious soup recipe. I have been in Turkey for nearly a month now and I have loved being able to eat all the scrummy Turkish food again. I used to love this soup but, since the one I used to make was out of a packet and full of MSG, I couldn't eat it this time around. I decided to try and come up with my own. As far as I knew, it was just lentil soup with grains in so I went with that. It doesn't taste exactly like the packet but still very nice, very filling and sooo much healthier!

1/3 cup red lentils, soaked overnight
2.5 cups cold water
1 x small onion, diced
1 x garlic clove, minced
1 x  potato, diced
1 x carrot, diced
1 tbsp tomato puree
1/3 cup extra fine bulgar
1 cup boiling water


Rinse the bulgar and add to a small pan along with 1 cup of boiling water. Cover and set aside until the soup is ready.

Meanwhile, rinse the lentils then add to a large pan with 2.5 cups of cold water. Bring to a rapid boil and cook for 10mins, removing any foam that appears on the top. Add the potato and carrot, bring back to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 mins.

While the lentils are cooking, heat some olive oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and fry over a low heat, without stirring, but shaking infrequently, for about 10 mins or until starting to caramelise. Add the tomato puree and allow to cook for about 20 seconds before stirring in. Add the onion to the soup pan.

When the vegetables are cooked through, blend the soup. Return to the pan and reheat if necessary. The soup can be frozen at this point, do not freeze once the bulgar has been added. Allow to defrost before gently reheating.

Rinse the bulgar, fluff with a fork then add to the soup. Season well with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Add a good pinch of dried herbs and a good pinch of red chilli flakes. Mix well together. If your bulgar has lumps in it like mine did, just break out your potato masher and mash all of the lumps out!


Serve with a good squeeze of lemon juice and some extra chilli flakes if you like it spicy. Delish :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Find more Meals on the Cheap posts here.

I don't know about you but we are really struggling at the minute with our money situation and I am in need of some cheap but nutritious meals to keep us going and keep our food bills down.

I have been scouring the internet for recipe ideas to help me plan the next months meals and I will be sharing a new one every Wednesday.

I have decided to cut down our meat by half and bulk meals out with beans and chickpeas. I find that we spend quite a lot on meat as I don't like buying the value range at our supermarket, but this obviously ends up being pretty expensive.

I hope by the end of this, we'll have saved quite a lot of money on our food bills!  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...