I actually started this refashion by trying to make one of Paul's old tshirts into a cropped top for me. It did not work, for some reason. I don't know, it just went horribly wrong. It was too baggy all over, then it was too tight on my boobs but too baggy around my arms. Sometimes things just do not go as you want them to, no matter how hard you try. Oh well, not to worry, my loss is Leyla's gain!
I do not actually have any pictures of me making this so I can't do a full tutorial. I will try and explain my method as best as I can and if anyone wants a proper tutorial, just let me know and I will make another dress in a few weeks :)
I started out by taking a crop top of mine and pinning it onto the tshirt, which was just a basic men's size medium tshirt. I cut around my crop top and sewed the side seams back up. Tried it on and it looked awful. I pinned my fail top on Leyla and pinned it where I wanted the armholes to start. I marked on the shoulders how far I needed to take them in by, then using my marks and my pins, I drew an outline on the top and cut it out. I resewed the side seams and hemmed the armholes and was left with a vest top, Leyla size. I took an old cami that I had cut the top part of for a modesty vest. I cut two panels out of it, which I then sewed together to make a full skirt. I attached shirring elastic around the top edge and a strip of the tshirt material around the hem to finish. I stretched the skirt and elastic to fit the Leyla sized vest top and pinned and sewed it in place. I attached another strip of tshirt material around the waistline to make a little tie. I think it turned out super cute, if I do say so myself. It's got a kind of scrappy look to it, which I really like!
I love that it can be made out of any tshirt you love but have outgrown. I have to admit, I am seriously jealous that this dress is Leyla sized and not Mammy sized! I was really looking forward to wearing my cute superman cropped top but hey, some things are just not meant to be ;)
I'm linking here: