I posted the child size version of this hat the other week and thought I would put up the toddler version this week. I made the bigger one to be child size to fit Leyla and it looked too big for Naomie, despite her being nearly 3. I made this one up smaller to fit toddler size (approx 1-3 years). It is easy to adjust to fit your child perfectly though.
First of all, you need to know how big to make your hat. To work out your measurements, take a tape measure. Measure right around the top of your child's head, from where one side of the hat should fall to the other. This will give you your width measurement. For Naomie, that was 16". To make sure your gauge is right, work up the first 3 rows then measure your width. It should hit exactly 16".
To make my hat, I used DK yarn in this lovely sparkly pink colour and a 6mm crochet hook. Use whichever yarn weight and crochet hook needed to match the gauge.
I added a pretty ruffle along the edges which is easily left off if you'd rather.
Pixie Hat With Ruffle Pattern (Toddler size)
1. ch56, hdc in 2nd ch from hook and across (55)
2-18. ch1, turn, hdc across (55)
19. fold across the long edge so you end up with an almost square, measuring 7.5" x 8", stitch together on one side to make a bonnet shape, weave in ends
20. join yarn in one of the bottom corners, with wrong side facing, ch1, work 2 hdcs in same st and evenly around, join with sl st in 1st hdc
21. ch1, turn, work 2 hdcs in same st and evenly around to the other corner, skip one stitch on the corner then ch1 and work 2 hdcs into next st to make a buttonhole, continue evenly around with 2hdcs in each st, join with sl st in 1st hdc
22. ch1, turn, sc in each st around, join with sl st in 1st sc, bind off
23. attach a large button to match up with the buttonhole made in row 21, weave in all ends
...and because there is no show without punch :P
I'm linking here: