Friday, 3 May 2013
Crochet car appliqué
I love making little appliqués to fancy up plain hats but the majority of things I make are girly. Things like bows, flowers, butterflies are all cute but no good for a boy. Well, I think boys deserve cute hats too!
To make your own crochet car appliqué, you will need:
3.5mm crochet hook
DK yarn in colours of your choice
1. using main colour, ch14, sc in second chain from hook and across (13)
2. ch1, turn, sc2tog, sc across to last 2sts, sc2tog (11)
3. ch1, turn, sc2tog, sc across to last 2sts, sc2tog (9)
4. ch1, turn, sc across (9)
5. ch11, turn, join with sl st under 2 loops of turning ch on opp side
6. ch1, do not turn, sc in the same st then evenly down the first short side of the car, work 3scs in the corner, sc across long side, 3scs in the corner, work evenly up the second short side, work 11scs around ch11, join with sl st to 1st sc, bind off and weave in all ends
7. join yarn in 5th ch on row 4, using both pieces of yarn ch3 to create a thick chain, bind off, leaving two long tails, using the yarn needle stitch this chain to the top of the car, in the very centre, weave in the ends very well
1. using contrast colour, make a magic loop, ch3, work 11dcs in loop, join with sl st to top of ch3 (12)
2. bind off, leaving a long tail to attach to the car
3. repeat for the second wheel
1. weave in the yarn coming from the centre of each wheel, use the long tail to attach the two wheels to the bottom of the car, overlapping by half, weave in all ends.
Your car appliqué is now finished and ready to be attached to anything you fancy.