Monday, 20 May 2013

My Homegrown Vegetable Patio Garden - Week 7


Lots of things have been happening in the Mammy Made garden this week :)


My potatoes have grown so huge now that they are growing out of the top of my container!


I gave them their last earthing up this week. I just added soil up to the last two inches of the container and they can now be left to grow. I will keep watering them every other day. I will water them more if it gets warmer obviously but once every other day is working for the weather we're having at the minute. Even though it's May, it's still fairly cold and rainy here in England, unfortunately. I found two snails in my potatoes aswell, luckily before they were buried in soil, so I'm going to have to have a look at finding natural ways to prevent them.


My three tomato plants are doing very well. I was a bit worried they would get transplant shock since I had to pull their roots apart to pot them on, but they are looking brilliant. Really sturdy, I'm very pleased. They're outside during the day and I am bringing them in on a night to acclimatise them to living outside.


My other tomato seedlings are doing well, too. Some of them were ready to be moved into bigger pots, but some I have left to grow a bit bigger first. I replanted them in 4" pots, one seedling per pot. I think next time I will just sow the seeds in these pots to save time and work. They will be kept inside until they are ready to be planted in their big pots.


I also bought some living herbs to put out in the garden. I bought parsley and coriander, to go with the rosemary, sage and thyme that are still growing from last year. I repotted them in 6" pots as the pots they came in were really small. They will be left outside now. 


The sage and thyme are in a large tray with some weeds and I think rocket? I'm not sure because it wasn't me who planted these ones. The thyme is dying I think but the sage is huge and makes my whole garden smell delicious!

1 comment:

Heather @ The Beating Hearth said...

I love going in my herb garden and picking them because I smell so good afterwards. Your veggies are looking amazing! I am growing a new tomato this year, it's called Indigo Rose, it's the bluest naturally bred tomato. Pretty excited to see what happens with it! Can't wait to see how yours do this summer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...