Monday, 6 January 2014

Little Girl Tutu - Tutorial

Hi everyone! I am back after my christmas and new year break. I hope everyone had an amazing time. Me and my girls spent them both with family and had lots of fun and laughs. 


I made this beautiful little girl tutu for Leyla to wear on new year's eve and she looked the belle of the ball! I love the ribbon on the front, it doubles the cute factor. Not that she needs much help to be cute, of course.

This tutu is for approx age 4-5 years and fits to just under knee length on my little girl, who is approx 42" tall.


To make this tutu you will need a piece of elastic long enough to fit around your child's waist, some rolls of tulle (or a piece of tulle cut into long 6" strips) and a piece of ribbon. I cut my strips of tulle to be 31" long. To do this easily, I made a piece of cardboard that measured 15.5" long, wrapped the tulle around until I ran out then cut one side. I ended up with a lot of 31" strips of tulle.

I cut my elastic to be 21.5", which was my little girl's waist measurement. 0.5" was lost when stitching the elastic together which resulted in a nice fitting waistband. I stitched it together with a zigzag stitch and ended up with a 21" joined piece. I stretched my elastic around my dining chair to make it easier for me to attach the pieces of tulle.


To attach the tulle on to my elastic, I folded a piece in half, with the fold pointing down. I passed the folded tulle under the elastic then pulled the two tails over the elastic and through the loop created at the fold end. I then pulled it tight to secure. Make sure your knot is not too tight though or your elastic will end up all twisted and will be uncomfortable.


When the elastic is all covered you need to add your ribbon. I did not loop it all the way around, I just looped it through the front piece of tulle, tied it off in a double knot then tied my bow. I left the ends long because I think they look much nicer that way. You can either trim the ends of the tulle or leave them slightly uneven and raggedy if you like. I left mine because again, I think they add to the cute factor.

I hope you all enjoyed this tutorial. I had fun making it and am planning to make lots more! They are quick and easy and turn out very adorable.

Come and visit me on my Facebook page to make sure you do not miss any of my posts. See you there! :D

I'm linking here:

Sew Much Ado
The NY Melrose Family
We Like To Learn As We Go
Ginger Snap Crafts

4 comments:

Juanita McLellan said...

I love your blog... My best friend made me a tutu last year while she was making them for her nieces, I'm inspired to wear it vacuuming today! I wish I could crochet as well as you, I'm still learning... But frustration sends me back to my knitting needles, lol.
Following from http://lunchboxofawesome.blogspot.co.nz

Adele said...

Thanks honey, that's really kind of you to say xx

Heather @ The Beating Hearth said...

I made a tutu like this and it twisted terribly. I never tried it again. This is so cute...I might have to reconsider.

Alexis Tanner said...

She looks so cute! Great job on the tutu! I think they're so perfect for little girls.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...